Position: Senior Network Consultant
Shipshape IT is seeking to grow its technical team to keep pace with its steady growth. Shipshape IT is a provider of fixed-price IT support to small and mid-size businesses in the DC metro area. The company is looking for highly motivated individuals with the ability to effectively communicate with both internal staff and clients. Candidates must also possess strong information technology background and knowledge.
The Senior Network Consultant (SNC) will work in a fast-paced environment helping clients achieve optimal use of their workstations, servers, networks, and peripherals by performing needs analysis, procurement support, installation, training, and problem resolution. The ideal SNC will be able to take ownership of any support request and either take direct action to resolve any problems or engage the correct internal or external resources to resolve the issue. The SNC should be proactive in identifying areas where more junior staff members are struggling and should be available to train new and more junior staff on a regular basis. The SNC will also participate in documentation review for clients to ensure that company standards are met and that documentation critical to providing support is of excellent quality. The SNC will also manage a subset of existing clients, acting as an expert resource for technical escalations as well as engaging existing clients on a regular basis to ensure client satisfaction and appropriate long-term IT planning.
Preferred Experience Background
Our Ideal Senior Network Consultant will have 5+ years of prior experience working for an MSP or onsite as support staff for a small business. Our ideal team members will strive to provide a high level of customer service and possess exceptional communication skills.
All areas of responsibility listed below are essential to the satisfactory performance of this position. Any non-essential functions are assumed to be included in “other related organizational and logistical duties as may be reasonably assigned”:
- Provide on-site and remote desktop support for end users
- Provide escalation support for Support Services technicians
- Design, configure, monitor, and optimize IT infrastructure for optimal performance, maximum availability, minimal maintenance, and reasonable costs
- Analyze users’ needs and recommend appropriate technology infrastructure configurations
- Implement and maintain routers, switches, firewalls, Windows servers and Internet/Intranet connections
- Perform preventative and fault isolation maintenance on local and wide area networks
- Perform file maintenance on servers, domains, and user files and/or databases
- Design, configure, maintain, and manage network security and backup features for local and wide area networks
- Configure, monitor, and maintain anti-virus and backup programs to ensure network and systems integrity
- Perform advanced diagnostics and maintenance on desktop devices when additional expertise is required
- Analyze, recommend, and evaluate new hardware and software products for network compatibility
- Develop, maintain, and update a library of technical documentation
- Keep current on new developments and techniques in information technology
- Perform other related organizational and logistical duties as may be reasonably assigned
The position requires hands-on experience working with:
- Windows 7, 8, 10 installation, support, and troubleshooting
- Windows Server installation, support, and administration (2012/2016/2019)
- Windows Active Directory design, deployment, and administration
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2010/2013/2016 – Administration, deployment, and migration
- Office 365 Management
- Managed antivirus solutions
- Enterprise backup solutions
- TCP/IP network design and troubleshooting
- Configuration, deployment, and support of network routers, switches, wireless access points, and firewalls
- Microsoft Office – Basic use, installation, and troubleshooting (including Project and Visio)
- Virtualization Technologies (Hyper-V and VMWare)
- Web hosting, DNS, and SSL certificates
- Linux installation, support, and administration is a plus
- Mac OS installation, support, and troubleshooting is a plus
Education and Certifications Preferred, Not Required
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Information Systems, or other related disciplines
- Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, MCSE, VMware
Additionally Must Possess
As Senior Network Consultant, you will interact extensively (both over the phone and in person) with end-users that possess a wide range of technical knowledge. As such, you will need to possess strong analytical skills, excellent interpersonal skills, ability to design workable solutions to problems in a timely manner, the ability to travel to client sites (local travel only) and a strong customer service ethic.
You may be responsible for, and candidates should be able to perform light physical work. Examples would include things such as lifting, moving, and relocating computers or other information technology infrastructure within an office or data center facility.